Saturday, April 12, 2014

Yes! Discovered a wireless network in my hotel with a blogger signal. I feel like whenever I manage to get an outside line, I'm writing from an underground, resistance movement circa Terminator the movie. According to my Instagram timeline I've been abroad for 5 weeks now. I have minimum another 3 weeks. This particular stint has been a long one. But I guess I'm getting used to it. The alienating, solo traveling parts, are integral to this new'ish life. I heard this quote recently 
"Don't give up what you want most, for what you want now." I googled the source and I got some leaders from the Church of Latter Day Saints and a link to Islamicthinking.net. Can't say I wasn't a little weirded out. But it's a good quote none the less.. I'm just not thinking the thing I want most for my eternal soul is to die with flocks of virgins waiting for me in Heaven. Did I get that right? Might have to google that later. Anyway. Saw a cool article from a Ted Blog I thought was interesting. It's about how the languages we speak can affect the way we think. I wonder if individuals in particular that are bilingual or trilingual should have a special study. 

In places like Hong Kong, where I have family, children as young as 2 or 3 are preparing to learn two or three languages to stay globally and domestically competitive for their future. And this is not an uncommon standard. On one side I've heard, and can understand, how a lot of people think it's a terrible thing to put that much pressure on a young child. And on the other hand, well it just seems like an unfortunate byproduct of a career competitive reality. Especially in the economically rich parts of Asia where the schooling systems are infamously cut throat, an "unfortunate byproduct" just seems like another shit cherry added to the top. And on the third hand, who knows maybe children who are able to tap into early trilingualism may unknowingly grow the human brain by 5% for future humans. But mostly I think I'm just an ignorant American and there are tons of trilingual babies out there in the world because as far as education standards I think comparing them to America's education standards is a relative joke.  
 



No comments: