Saturday, April 4, 2015


:Continuation of No Social Media Week:

Day3: Made a note to check out Lower Dens the band to myself. Starting to think if I have major projects or deadlines within the week I should ban myself from social media until it gets done. Might actually be an effective form of self discipline. Because I am actually getting more work done even when I am distracting myself from my other normal set of distractions.

Day4: One hour is a lifetime on the internet. One hour is also the same amount of time it takes me to watch one episode of Mad Men. Realizing maybe instagram is the greatest distraction tool ever invented. The double edged sword being without Instagram, I tend to realize how fucking stressed out I actually am with my current day to day. It also makes me feel a little less alienated.

Day5: I can hear the baby birds outside squawking with new life. It sounds like a frenzy of chaos out there but they're probably hungry and confused. It's a bit poetic for some reason. Early Mariah Carey is my therapist.

Day6:Barely the sixth day, I hope it doesn't snow tomorrow. "Under Pressure" by Queen is one of the best songs of all time. Realizing that being off the grid furthers anyone's agenda of mystery. Is mystery overrated or undervalued in this day an age? While we live in a dawn of technology aided hyper transparency, I can not help but admit I have always had a hyper compulsion to document most things so I'm not sure if I'm enlightening myself in the process or screwing myself over. While I realize I can come across like an outlier of randomized observations, I can not help but to appreciate a casual cloak of secrecy in others.

I've always been a proponent of shared information and experiences but realizing that social media dictates and influences your behavior in the present is largely true. Bored? Check your phone. Looking for the time? Check your phone. Change your plans. This is what social media offers. Human beings are constantly bored. Bored with others, bored with ourselves. The question is whether you like the version of yourself that social media brings out? Or do you prefer the version of yourself that being off the grid provides? Maybe with enough thought and consideration there is a healthy middle ground that can be made.

Day 7:Final day. Amazing milestone in terms of officially hiring two part time employees for Onto. The band is official. Contemplating logging in. Promise yourself you gotta turn off these dumb notifications.

Final result: Okay I just logged in. Seemed like a big waste of time. Ultimately, I feel like without social media I naturally gravitate towards people that actually matter to me. Who would have thought? Those are the people that actually hit you up to hang out and let you know when their band is playing on text. Being off the grid affords you the opportunities to cultivate those relationships. It's easy to take for granted. I do hate the feeling of not knowing what's going on, but there is something truly satisfying about the freedom of operating without a network of predetermined life information.

No comments: